Sunday, June 1, 2014

Thoughts After Watching the First Two Episodes of Firefly


So when I asked if I should watch Firefly a couple weeks back, I got in response a resounding "yes". To be honest, I didn't really have an idea what the show was about: simply that it had a cult following and many of its fans overlapped with Bryan Fuller fans. Thus, finding myself with some free hours today, I thought I would try the first couple episodes. I definitely see myself finishing this series, so I want to record my thoughts at the beginning compared to when I finish it.

First off, I really hope Malcolm dies. Which I doubt will happen, but I have my fingers crossed. I hate his face. I know that's not really a reviewer-ly thing to say but my god his face annoys me I mean if I'm going to have to stare at someone's face for eleven episodes I want them to be somewhat attractive. *deep breath* Aside from his face, I guess I'm just sort of sick of the whole "flawed male lead who's emotionally closed off and has anger issues and really isn't the best decision maker but seems to be in charge of all the decisions". Like, WHY IS ZOE NOT THE CAPTAIN. Kudos to the show for having the second biggest character being a black woman, and a strong and smart one at that, but WHY IS SHE NOT THE CAPTAIN. Her being the captain would make for a five thousand times better show. Maybe this is the hours I've spent on Tumblr talking, but it annoys me that the white male character automatically gets the powerful position when there's a more qualified leader right next to him. Why, writers, why. And besides, it's so predictable that there's going to be someone or some situation that makes him show his soft side and he'll progress emotionally. It's been done a thousand times with a thousand different male characters. And he's dumb I mean GODDDD. It makes me angry.

While we're talking about characters, I really do appreciate Zoe (Hi Mrs. Crawford!). I think she's awesome and her relationship with the pilot is so sweet and perfect and it's not set up for tons of romantic drama which is just downright refreshing. Kailee is awesome, and Jane is perfection. The doctor's face also makes me angry. It's like, it should be attractive but there's something an eensy bit off, ya know? Also CAN SOMEONE PLEASE FIND THIS MAN A WELL FITTED VEST. I love sibling relationships on shows. They're semi-rare, which might be due to the fact that it's easier to create drama with romantic relationships, but they're great because it's such a pure form of love and can be manipulated so easily to bring the tears. IDK sibling relationships are my fave. Now I'm not quite sure why, but I really wish Inara was a guy. Like still a companion, but a guy. I DON'T KNOW WHY. I definitely love that the show made a prostitute an actual character with depth and development instead of just using her as a plot device or romantic interest (although I have an inkling that she'll be used as a romantic interest). ANOTHER THING. Love triangles are already in the works and that makes me sort of angry because I really don't have the patience for romantic drama in shows; I feel like the time and effort could be put to better means. Like, Kailee and Malcolm, Inara and Malcolm, Kailee and Simon, etc. Can we just cut it with the sexual tension. I'm interested to see what happens with character development: I don't think this show is the best at showing character development through the small things: I think it's going to have moments set up where we get the character development we need.

OKAY I'M SORRY I'M BEING SO NEGATIVE I TRULY DID ENJOY THESE FIRST TWO EPISODES. 

The idea of a Western-style show set in space is really interesting I WONDER WHERE THEY GOT THAT FROM. DEFINITELY COULDN'T BE COWBOY BEBOP. WHICH CAME OUT FOUR YEARS PRIOR. To be honest though, I don't know whether they were inspired by Cowboy Bebop or if it was just a coincidence that the two shows have similarities. But it sort of sucks for me that I've seen Cowboy Bebop and loved it because now the whole time I'm watching the show I'm just wishing I'm watching Cowboy Bebop. I mean, it's just such a good show and nothing can compare. First off, the whole jazz soundtrack is awesome instead of just having the same little Western riff that plays every five minutes (Lookin' at you, Firefly.) The characters on the ship are much more interesting individually: Spike being the smart-ass daredevil with the karate moves is so much more satisfying than Malcolm the wannabe smart-ass stupid daredevil (as opposed to Spike who has his whole philosophy about not caring about his life) with the pretty generic fight moves. I do love Kailee, but Ed totally beats her out as far as being the quirky techy sidekick. And as far as sexy female roles, BLESS FAYE. I appreciate her so much. I mean, like I said before it's great that Firefly shows Inara as a real person rather than just a sex object, but they do show her as a sex object. Faye is the typically over-sexy female but they don't have to make her role in the show or job to be about that. There's really no sexual tension between her and anyone else the whole show, if anything it's emotional tension, plus she can fight and hold her own. The fight scenes in Bebop are five times as awesome because #1 it's Spike and #2 they're set in time to music. Plus the spaceships are way cooler. ALSO WHERE IS THE CORGI, FIREFLY? ANSWER ME THAT.

I'm really sad now that I'm comparing Firefly to Bebop but the shows are so similar that they invite comparison. Firefly is a good show, definitely, and it sucks you in. Part of it's charm is that it's so campy and not really the best show in the world, but it has a lot of soul: it doesn't feel like it's trying to appeal to audiences. I mean, I think Bebop has a lot more depth of emotion and thought presented in its episodes: returning medicine to sick people is really the best moral dilemma you could come up with, Firefly? Really? OH MY GOD I NEED TO STOP COMPARING. I really appreciate what Firefly is doing as a show and I'm interested to see where it goes. Plus it has like all my favorite actors in the world, so that's a plus.

This has been the most unprofessional review I've ever written I'm so sorry.


Anyways, if you've seen the show I'd really like to know what you think of it! Talk to me in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog