Monday, April 14, 2014

Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts



1.) I just had to steal the above picture from Tumblr because it provides me with endless amounts of amusement for some reason and it's also basically my attitude right now.

2.)SPAIN IN T- 4 DAYS!!! I'm incredibly excited, and yet at the same time it all feels so surreal. I mean I signed up for this trip last year and it's here already, which makes me stop and realize how fast time really does fly by: I'm almost at the end of my sophomore year of high school. I just want to pause for a second! Back to Spain though, I've never been out of the country before, so I have ideas of what it will all be like but I really have no way of knowing. It's incredibly myopic, but I really just see the whole world as a variation on America, which just shows how much I need to travel. This will kick off a string of adventures: In June I'm going to Iceland and in July I'm going to France! I bought a new camera for Spain so I'll be taking lots of pictures and making little vlogs and short videos, which is a hobby I'm fast becoming addicted to. Heads up, I won't be posting when I'm in Spain, which will be the 18-27, I apologize, but I'll have lots of goodies to put up when I get back!



3.) Postmodern Jukebox on Youtube is killin' it. Almost all of their covers are ten times better than the original versions. I wish I could go see their tour that they're doing in Europe this summer- I would start crying joyful tears in the middle of the performance. So if you're in Europe this June, go see them for me ok? ok. *Sorry for the accidental TFIOS reference...*


I want to be able to play the sax like that....


Bringing back memories of my times in Fiddler on the Roof pit orchestra.

4.) Speaking of Youtube *drum rolllllllllll* I started up my Youtube channel again! I'm making pretty dumb little short videos right now, not really about anything, but I'm focusing on wrangling my Movie Maker program and etc. video tools. That's where my Spain videos will be in a couple weeks time, though, so you should subscribe!

5.)I swear I'll start talking about bookish things in a second, but did you know Sir Anthony Hopkins wrote a waltz fifty years ago? It's uber gorgeous and he'd never had it played because he was too afraid to hear it, but they finally played it for him and it's wonderful.


6.) OKAY NOW FOR BOOKS
Nope sorry wait.
Okay so I just need to share this because I had one of those magical moments that make you believe in fate the other day. So #1- I love Wes Anderson films. And one of the things I love most about Wes Anderson films is Jason Schwartzman. In fact, he's one of my favorite actors. He's like some dopey puppy and he has to take two steps for every one anyone else takes. #2- I love Coconut Records, and I've been listening to them for quite awhile now. And what I found out is that JASON SCHWARTZMAN IS COCONUT RECORDS. After which I provided to roll into a ball and squeal like a piglet for a few hours. I'm still recovering. 


7.) I got this great sketchbook for Christmas that has like 300 pages and is a japanese print on the front, and recently I've decided to convert it into a sort of mixed-media diary: I write down my thoughts, dreams, writing ideas, I make collages of poems I like, and yes, I still draw. It's nice having a place to deposit everything your brain comes up with free of judgement.

8.) I'm reading Candide by Voltaire in the original French and I'm loving it so far. Granted, it's slow going because, well, I've only had four years of French, but as long as I stay focused it's very enjoyable to read and I understand a lot more than I thought I would. And Voltaire Is So Sassy. I mean, probably half of all the sarcasm and witty commentary goes over my head and yet I find myself cracking up in the middle of study hall with my Pocket LaRousse on my lap. I'd like to read an English translation after I finish this, just so I can appreciate the text more and see what I missed, but this is turning out to be a great learning experience.


9.) I just started Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, more because I feel the obligation to read at least one work of Dickens than anything else, but it seems interesting so far. I'm not so crazy about his writing style, but the way he describes people is very powerful.


10.) Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry's was last week, and seeing as Ben and Jerry's is about seven doors down from my school it was the event of the season. I think I went four times (our teachers take us in our classes, we go at lunch, and after school too. It's kind of a big deal.) However, I found myself very mildly outraged by the fact that the mint chocolate chunk I ordered was in fact, get this, not radioactive green. It was white. I sort of scowled at it until it knew I disapproved and then continued on to eat it because it was still delicious (and free) ice cream. But it left a feeling of wrongness in my heart, a wrongness that can only be righted by a good helping of neon mint ice cream. I will let you know my progress on acquiring some.

**11** This is more of a question, but I'd like to know your opinions on the matter. I was thinking of starting my own weekly meme, something like Inspired Fridays, where you post an original creation: a short film, a photo, a piece of art, or a piece of writing, something like that. I feel like it would be encouraging for creating more frequently, plus I'd love to see what original work the blogs I follow create. Would you be interested in participating/do you think this is a good idea? Comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Lol at that toaster. Oooh I long to travel. I bet you'll have fun in Spain and France. Jason Schwartzman is like my all time favorite actor and he is so adorable *i swoon every time i think of him* (do you watch Bored to Death?). And I love Coconut Records! West Coast, The Summer, Nightiming, Drummer, and I am Young are my favorite songs!

    styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I don't watch Bored to Death: is it a TV show? I've been looking for new shows to watch so I'll look into that :) My favorite Coconut Records songs are It's Not You It's Me and Microphone, and Nighttiming makes the list because it always makes me want to disco dance ;)

      Delete

Search This Blog