Sunday, February 17, 2013

Electro Swing: A Love Story

A little tidbit about myself; I play the alto saxophone religiously. Therefore I listen quite a bit to jazz, bebop, blues, bossanova, and my favorite: swing. That's why I shed a few joyous tears when I discovered Electro Swing. It's a legitimately perfect genre of music concocted from swing tunes and styles, played with big band instruments, and club beats as well as synthesized sounds. I seriously haven't been able to pry the headphones off my ears ever since I found this music.
Bambous by Caravan Palace

I picked this song first because it was the first electro swing song I fell in love with. In case you don't like nonsensical rabies-infused vocals I'm pretty sure this is the only song I've found that features them, so don't be quick to write off this genre. In any case, Caravan Palace has officially been crowned my favorite band. They're from Paris, and have a few albums out, and the more I listen to their music the more I like it.


Je M'Amuse by Caravan Palace

This song is my current favorite. The melody is very Parisian sounding, which I like, and the way they mix it up with the heavy synthetic bass sounds provides an interesting contrast that still works perfectly.


Brotherswing by Caravan Palace


The Dirty Side of The Street by Caravan Palace

Okay I'm dancing.


Jimmy's Gang by Parov Stelar

I'm pretty sure Parov Stelar is the most famous electro swing composer. Something he does more than Caravan Palace is focus on club beats, and I'm pretty sure he has more instrumental riffs. IN CASE ANYONE HAS SPENT THEIR ENTIRE EXISTENCE LOOKING FOR THAT SONG FROM THE BING RESTAURANT COMMERCIAL THIS IS IT I FOUND IT. Am I the only one that does that? I hear a song in the background of something and then I dedicate my life to finding it. In any case I spent a whole morning looking for this one. It was infuriating.


Catgroove by Parov Stelar

I picked this one up from my brother, and although I strongly disagree with most of his music choices I very much approve of this one.


Bad Boy Good Man by Tape Five


Tango For a Spy by Tape Five



Cool Cat In Town by Tape Five


Rum'n'Cocacola by Tim Tim

This is one of those songs that makes life seem happy and perfect and relaxed while you're listening to it. It describes itself as electro swing, but it comes across as a little bit reggae to me, which creates a very unique sound.


That Swing by Soul Square



These are only some of my favorites, but I'm still discovering the genre. If you like the above, I recommend making a Pandora station for either Caravan Palace or Parov Stelar(That's how I found most of these.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog