Tuesday, May 27, 2014

The End of My Travels (For Now) Barcelona, Spain



After visiting Madrid, Seville, Cordoba, and Sitges, my travels in Spain finally ended in Barcelona. Having spent a good deal of time in the South, being in Barcelona made it clear to me that Spain was, in fact, not the homogeneous country I had thought it to be. Seeing all the Catalan flags hanging out windows was shocking; I didn't realize that the people in the North were so open about wanting to be independent. But Barcelona was, of course, beautiful, and now that I'm talking about it again I've remembered that I wanted to re-watch Vicki Christina Barcelona.  


I'm not sure I've hated an inanimate object in my whole life as much as I hate that street lamp. We will see what becomes of it once I've sharpened my photoshop skills....


The Gaudi cathedral. It's been under construction since the 1920s and is planned to be finished by the 2080s. Which seems like an incredibly long time on the 21st century clock, when in reality it would take generations to complete the huge structures of old. The idea of a cathedral being built today is fascinating; cathedrals are just old, yes, they were built sometime in the past but now they're there. There aren't new cathedrals. So I commend Gaudi for being like, "you know what, I'ma build a huge cathedral because why not", yet at the same time I'm not a fan of the design. The main section looks like a disintegrating sand castle and a beehive spawned a construction, and it totally doesn't match the smaller section. Maybe cathedrals should stay a thing of the past.


Giraffes chatting over coffee. No further explanation needed.











These pictures were all from the Gaudi park. I think his aesthetic worked much better in this context.


My trip to Spain was a great experience, but to be honest, I think it's too soon to fully understand the importance of the trip or what it will mean to me in the future. Every time I try to reflect on it, my mind goes blank. I guess the whole thing just came and went so fast- while I was there I was so completely in the present, and once I left it all became incredibly surreal. Like, I know I was in Spain and yet my brain doesn't really compute what that means.

This is the end of my Spain trip but not the end of my travels!! T-42 days until France! And then Italy in September! (fingers crossed on that one)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog