Thursday, January 30, 2014

Waiting to Fall

A white 
ceramic 
mug
placed on the edge of the table,
a semi-circle ring jutting out over the precipice.
Coffee sitting stagnant in its belly, 
tasting colder, 
staler, 
with each sip.
Leaving a stained rime on the virgin white
where it has receded.
It sits there, inches away from my hand.
Nails bitten down, 
discolored
patches dry and flaky,
wrinkles beginning to show.
I watch,
from the corner of my eye.
The mug.
So brittle. 
Already lines 
in the places I know it would break apart
if it fell.
when it fell.
My hand heavy on the table,
turned lead with the power
of possibility,
the what if.
The I could.
I see the liquid 
spreading across the tiles,
pungent,
seeping out from between sharp edges
of ceramic shards.
Spreading still, 
down tracks of grout. 
Until a faceless person
lays down a rag and sops the mess up.
Sweeps the stained-ivory pieces aside,
throws the whole deal in a trash can to be driven away 
the next morning.
But my hand has not moved yet,
and still the mug sits with a semi-circle of rim jutting over the precipice,
and my hand tensed,
and watching
watching
waiting,



waiting,







waiting.



-Skye K.
January 29th 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog