Thursday, January 30, 2014

Ten Bookish (And not so Bookish) Thoughts


1.) I actually followed through on my idea from last time on making a Youtube channel. I only have on video up so far, and it doesn't look like much, but I'm having a lot of fun and learning a lot--like how wiggly my eyebrows are?

* I found an actual video camera so I will be moving on from crappy webcam video :)

2.) Speaking of social media, I started a twitter account!  I don't really understand the appeal of Twitter, but it seems really handy for book and blogging news.

3.) My copies of The Golem and the Jinni, Little Failure, and The Life of God all came and I am overjoyed. I need to finish reading Nabokov so I can start them!


4.) Poetry Out Loud is finally over! I had a lot of fun, but in my opinion it was way too drawn out. I mean, we had like four weeks to memorize and prepare and honestly I could have done it over a weekend and I thought we wasted a lot of class time. Anyways, I read "The Blues Don't Change" by Al Young. 

5.) Right now is sort of an amazing time at school. It's the start of the new semester, so some of our classes are a bit different and everything feels fresh. All the tests and reports and unfinished homework from the first semester are forgotten, and we're at that moment where we're learning new things in each class but aren't so advanced as to be tested on them or have projects, so I'm sort of coasting and relaxing, because I know everything will get a lot harder soon.

6.) I'm pretty obsessed with the acoustic version of "Only Ones Who Know" by Arctic Monkeys. I couldn't tell you how many times I've played it in the last two days.


7.) We're starting a poetry unit in English which I would be excited for, but my English class is a total bore. My teacher has zero passion for the subject and I couldn't tell you one thing I've learned the whole year. It's really starting to get on my nerves-- I would much prefer a hard class to an easy one. Anyways, we had to answer who our favorite and least favorite poets are, which made me realize how little poetry I've read. For favorite I said Langston Hughes; I've found there's something about African American poetry that's so appealing- it has great rhythm. For least favorite I said Allen Ginsberg; I never enjoy reading his work and he's just a little too abstract in my opinion. 

8.) I FINALLY STARTED WRITING AGAIN! I'm sure I've mentioned it before but I've had writer's block basically since eighth grade AND IT KILLS ME INSIDE so I ventured into the dusty recesses of my attic and dug out my elementary school copy of Gale Carson Levine's Writing Magic. It's actually extremely helpful to give you a strong punt in the right direction- once you start writing it becomes a mindset you're always in. Anyways, I wrote a poem last night that I posted right before this post, called "Waiting to Fall". It's sort of strange for me since it's really free-form and abstract-- I usually just write about the seasons or beautiful things. But maybe my writing style is moving in a different direction?

9.) I'm getting a little tired of winter at this point. Can Spring just get here already?

10.) Ten's a nice, even number.

Link up to Christine, who runs this meme!

2 comments:

  1. Twitter: totally addictive and a wonderful time-waster! I got onto Twitter quite early (having never been a Facebooker) - it's like the perfect, tailored newsfeed. I follow lots of bookish types and publishers, a few celebs (but not many), and all sorts of people that make me laugh. And although it feels very odd to say, I've actually made some friends on Twitter who I have since met IRL (if my parents knew that, they would not understand at all!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto with Kate about Twitter: addictive but also perfect for all sorts of news and connections with bloggers and books/publishing news. I don't even bother popping into news sites very often as I find everything out on Twitter first :)

    Hope you enjoy The Golem and the Jinni! I read it earlier this month and absolutely loved it :)

    Much as I love cold weather, yes, spring would be nice now *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog