Thursday, March 27, 2014

10 Bookish (And Not So Bookish) Thoughts


10 Bookish and not so Bookish Thoughts is a weekly meme hosted by Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous.

1.) I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel with my brother this weekend, and I'll have a review up soon. Hint: I thought it was enjoyable and visually stunning but I had some problems with how stylized it was. Also: I really like this Flavorwire article about sexuality in Wes Anderson films. 

2.)Grades close tomorrow and I'm sort of freaking out. Third quarter is always really tough for me, and my grades tend to slip a bit. *prayer circle for my math grade*

3.) I was fiddling around on my sax last night and just playing through my Real Book when I came upon "All of Me" (the jazz standard not John Legend) I really liked it, and  I'd never heard it before so I was playing it sort of as a ballad, which works on sax, but then I looked it up and I'm in love with this gypsy jazz version:


4.) On a gypsy jazz note, I was in history today and had my Pandora on a Django Rheinhardt station and this song came up that I now can't get enough of:

5.) Bombay Stories by Saadat Hasan Manto looks like a really interesting book, and I love that it's translated from Urdu; it's not a language you would typically read translated. I've been eyeing it, and I'll probably read it soon.


6.) I started my novel! I know that I'm in high school and I neither have the time nor the skills for a novel but I figured I might as well give it a go, because why not. It's practice at the very least, at the very best I actually finish it and get it published, which would be unbelievable and everything I've ever wanted in life. So it doesn't hurt to try.

7.)I'm getting chinese food delivery for dinner tonight and honestly I've been distracted the whole time I've been writing this just thinking about it-- oooh also Ben and Jerry's opened today and I went with my friends- we were the first customers of the new season. I got Phish Food and it was an out of body experience. 


8.) I've been reading Brunelleschi's Dome by Ross King and I've been really enjoying it, which is surprising considering it's a book about building a dome. But it's told as a story, not a textbook, and I'm learning a lot from it. The building of the dome of the Santa Maria Del Fiore actually gave birth to a lot of innovations in architecture that we take for granted today. I might finish it this weekend, so I'll get  a review up for that.

9.) Sailing started today! We didn't actually sail- it takes two days at least to get all the boats rigged up and ready- but it's still exciting and we should be on the water next week! It's even better because this is the first year our school will have it's own sailing team and I've worked for the last year and a half to make that happen. 

10.) I want a Laser so badly it hurts. It would be so amazing to just hop on over to the yacht club, rig up my Laser, and take it out whenever I felt like it. It's just hard to find a cheap, used one. *cries*

2 comments:

  1. I love Wes Anderson... and ice cream!

    Good luck on your grades!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your grades, I'm sure you did awesome :) Best of luck also with your novel writing! :)

    Ahh! I really want to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel *patience, patience*

    Glad to hear you're enjoying Brunelleschi's Dome! I may read it next, as soon as I finish with Ackroyd's Foundation :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog